Sunday, September 18, 2011

Getting back to the gym

I decided this week that it was time to look into gyms in this area. I have been running some, but I don't seem able to make myself run more than two or three times per week, and I don't generally look forward to those times. For me, gyms are a different story -- I actually enjoy going.

So, Monday I decided to start a week-long trial membership at the local Gold's Gym. I'd checked their web site and their prices were great, and they even have my favorite exercise classes.

True to form, I wanted to get the most out of the week-long opportunity. Monday evening had a Body Pump class, so I went to it. If you've never done Body Pump, it's great -- 45-60 minutes of weight lifting, light weights and many reps. I was pretty proud of myself for being able to keep up since I haven't really lifted since living in England last fall.

As the class was finishing up, I heard that there was a cycling class happening next. I love cycling (although I haven't done that since England either), and since I was in the gym anyway thought I should get some cardio in.

Again, I was pretty proud of myself for being able to keep up and really enjoyed it. I bounced home all excited and proud of my fitness.

That is, I was proud until I could barely get out of bed the next morning.

EVERYTHING hurt. A lot! As I was wining, my dad told me I probably should stretch. Good idea. But when I tried to touch my toes (which I can usually do) my hands only made it to two feet above the ground. Oh no!

Pride goes before destruction, a haughty spirit before a fall. - Proverbs 16:18

I wish I could learn that lesson once and for all!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment