Sunday, July 3, 2011

Hebron Camp Day 1

This week we are conducting a summer camp for kids in Hebron -- a Muslim city in Palestine. It is a work of reconciliation in the sense that it is Christians working with Muslims -- something that doesn't happen very often.

This is the second time our organization has done this camp. The kids were so well behaved and thankful last year, and we have all really been looking forward to it.

I am in charge of one of the activities the kids rotate through at the camp -- CRAFTS! I have been wishing I was more like my mom for weeks (for those of you who don't know my mom is a genius with kids, especially in coming up with meaningful things for them to do). Thankfully, she helped me get organized over Skype, and we have some great things planned.

My goal for the week is to update you and show you some pictures daily. This time I'm posting right before heading to the bus for day two, so we'll see if I can do a little better in the future. I hope you enjoy these adorable kids as much as I have been!

The kids were waiting for us when we got there and excitedly registered. This is part of the crowd pouring in. We have about 100 kids.

The theme of the camp is "what's in your bag?" and talking about the things carry with them in life.

I had kids make the classic "bead men" on the first day which are meant to be decorations for their new backpacks, which they will get as a part of attending the camp.

One of my coworkers had the kids do "newspaper fashion" in her station. I thought this picture was too cute not to share.

No comments:

Post a Comment